This is the step-by-step guide that shows you how to upload an avatar to VRChat from Unity Software
Make sure you are using the right Unity version (Unity 2019.4.29f1.) to be able to upload your avatar to VRChat.
Register on VRChat and Download the SDK3 Avatars from the following link: https://vrchat.com/home/download
Make sure you have a user account with at least a “New User” Trust Rank or a Premium account to be able to upload content.
Download your avatar from your private user area and unzip the file into a folder. In case you don’t have created yet your own avatar, you can get it here.
The guide to uploading your avatar to VRChat
- Create a new project from Unity using the 3D Template.
2. Assets > Import Package > Custom Package – Import the Avatar SDK3 package you downloaded from VRChat downloads page.
3. Go on VR Chat SDK – Show Control Panel – Add Username and password – Sign In
4. From Unity – Assets – Import Asset – Select all the files that you unzipped on the folder (if there is a Materials message click on “Fix Now”)
5. Inside the Assets tab, click on the object of your Avatar.
6. In the inspector, click on the model and select “Import” on Blend Shapes Normal
7. In the inspector, go to the Rig tab and select “Humanoid” in the Animation Type, then select “Create from this model an Avatar Definition” and then Apply
8. In the inspector, go to the Materials tab and select “location” and change the option to “Use External Materials (legacy)”
9. Go on the Hair object and select Fade on the Rendering Mode.
10. Import the Avatar from the Assets tab to the Project Scene
11. In the inspector, Add an animator component if it doesn’t have one already.
12. In the inspector, click on Add Component and add a VRC Avatar Description component.
13. In the View option of the inspector, click “View”
14. Move the selection that appears close to the head to put it at the right height for the head view
15. Go to VRChat SKD – Show Contro Pannel
16. Go to the builder tab
17. If you see any error message, click on Autofix
18. Click on Build and Publish for Windows
19. In the VRChat Window, add a name and description
20. Open VRChat / Access the menu / Go in Avatars / Select the last Avatar that you just created and click on Change Avatar
Helpful Links: https://docs.vrchat.com/docs/creating-your-first-avatar
Do you want to get a photo-realistic avatar? Check out our avatar maker, we just need a selfie!